Administrative Contact: Christine Schlenker
Registration now open: November 2017 BWU in Houston
Dates:November 1-3, 2017
Note: Registration for the December 2016 Brownwater University is full. Please fill out the form below if you are interested in attending a session in 2017.
Time: 0830-1700 (may change)
Course Location: Houston Pilots, 203 Deerwood Glen Drive, Houston, TX 77536
Click here to register now. RSVPs are required.
Interested in future BWU Sessions?
Brownwater University classes are usually offered each Spring and Fall. Fill out this form to be notified of future course offerings.
+ About Brownwater University
For the past decade, marine transportation stakeholders in conjunction with the U.S. Coast Guard in the Houston region, have developed and presented a two-day curriculum covering:
- U. S. Coast Guard regulatory practices;
- The Business of Towing;
- Role of regional and national stakeholder organizations;
- Brownwater vetting requirements;
- U.S. Coast Guard waterways management issues.
The material is presented by professionals from local U. S. Coast Guard units and inland towing operator personnel. An optional half-day of simulator time is offered to all attendees.
Who Can Attend?
One-half of the attendees are U. S. Coast Guard personnel from local and regional units and the remaining half are from marine transportation companies. The newest of employees or most-seasoned of Captains are welcome. All that is required is an interest to understand the perspective of the individuals presenting the material and the ensuing discussions. Attendance slots are on a first-come-first-serve basis given space limitations.
What Will It Cost?
FREE: Thanks to the generosity of local stakeholders, the only expense is your time. Registration is required.
What Can I expect?
- A healthy dialogue between industry personnel and the U. S. Coast Guard;
- Insight into towing company business drivers;
- The operational intricacies of navigating tows on the world's longest and most complex inland waterway system!